Monday, August 9, 2010

Whatcha gonna do about it? Girl, whatcha gonna do?

Okay, so Julie of Julie and Julia fame is way better than me. I pledged to cook one thing from my cookbook each night and blog about it (did I really commit to that, or did I just commit to that sorta thing). Well, she must've been rich with a lot of extra time on her hands, because I just can't bake/cook something new every night. However, I did manage to prepare 2 recipes from the future cookbook as promised for the cookout Saturday night. I did not make the Calico bean salad. I made Granny Cake and Candy Apple Salad! Both were a hit.

Granny cake

Ingredients:
Cake:
2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 can crushed pineapple in heavy syrup

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans

Icing:
1 stick butter
1 can Eagle brand sweetened milk
1 tsp. vanilla

View full recipe

Mix together cake ingredients and pour into greased and floured 9 X 13 pan. Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle over cake mixture. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. For the icing, melt together ingredients; stir until completely mixed and pour over cake. Let set.

Doug says, "Don't ever make that cake again. It is too good!"

Candy Apple Salad

Ingredients:
2 Red Delicious Apples
2 Granny Smith Apples
2 Milky Way bars
2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
16 oz. cool whip
1 cup chopped nuts

Directions:
Dice apples and Milky Ways in small pieces and place in large bowl. In another bowl, mix cream cheese and sugar until smooth; add Cool Whip and mix until well blended. Toss with apples and candy bars and chopped nuts.

Is it nuts to be shopping for Christmas already? I think not! Why, I've already been jamming to the Rat Pack Christmas and Alley Cat's Christmas Jams mixed tape. I love it! When's it gonna be fall??? I wonder if Doogie would make me an Alley Cat's Halloween Jams mixed tape? I bet he would! Wouldn't you, Doug? The Monster Mash! Ballroom Blitz! I Put a Spell on You! The Addams Family! Funny Farm! Tainted Love! Welcome to my Nightmare! Oh, how I love the fall!! Look at the cute purple kitty dancing with the little Wolfman. Reminds me of my kitty and Wolfman.

1 comment: