Thursday, September 30, 2010

From now on our troubles will be miles away...

I am so sleepy I feel sick. This morning on the way to work, no I didn’t fall asleep behind the wheel, I blasted Christmas jams in an attempt to wake myself. At one point, I was cruising with the windows down. However, when “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” came on, I rolled the windows up in order to fully embrace the song. What a freaking weirdo I am! It is as if that song is sacred. I even tear up when I hear it. It is magical, like the season itself. “From now on our troubles will be miles away...”

Ole Blue Eyes has a way with words, more particularly, how he sings those words. Isn’t it funny how music can alter or perpetuate your moods? If you’re sad, you can either listen to “I Don’t Believe You (She Acts Like We’ve Never Met)” by Bob Dylan and giggle right along with Bob as he sings. Or if you’re not satisfied with getting cheered up,and want to dig yourself further in the hole, why just put on “A Ballad in Plain D” and listen to Bob croon about a once-in-a-lifetime romance coming to an end. Bob has a song for every mood, just give him a listen. That’s why he’s my favorite.

Do you have a favorite part of a song that you crank when the verse plays? I love doing that! Por ejemplo:

Break on through - The Doors - "I found an island in your heart, poetry in your eyes"
Mrs. Robinson - Simon & Garfunkel - "Where have you gone Joe Dimagio, our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you"
The Night Hank Williams Came to Town - "Mama ironed my shirt and daddy let me take the truck. I drove on out to Grapevine and picked old Mavis up"
Say It Ain't So - Weezer - "This way is a waterslide away from me that takes you further everyday. So be cool."

Cool.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh! Christmas songs? What happened to Halloween! Don't let the retailers break you missy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about the Grinch?


    WITH ARSENIC SAAAAAAAAAAAUCE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry about me, Maria...well, maybe you should--I listen to Christmas songs year round. And Doug & I have learned tricks for seasonal shopping--we wait patiently for Sam's clearance.

    Doogie, girl, you know The Grinch is my jam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ali, I meant "break you" with their insistence that Christmas starts now rather than closer to the actual holiday...not break your bank! My dad listens to Christmas music year round to though, and belts it out in his car!

    ReplyDelete