Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Edward, you creep! Mmm cookies!

Last night, upon my return home from class, well, let me just paint the picture for you: It's dark. The night air feels wonderful, so I'm cruisin' with the windows down in Betty Blue (my car). As I pull up the driveway, I hear a noise and think someone is hiding in the bushes behind my garage (my mind also goes to the worst case scenario). I pull into the garage, I see someone standing in there. I scream. Then I laugh when I realize it's just Count Edward. Stupid Dracula. Liked to have scared me to death! It's a wonder I didn't wreck in my own garage. What a way to end the night!

Tonight, I had dinner with fabulous friends, excluding Dacian (I refuse to be nice to him until he concedes that his Halloween costume [Jason] is lame and decides to stop being a drag). The food was delicious (LaRosa's), company even better, and to top it all of, we were serenaded by a sweet little dude with...The Planet Song. Didn't know such a song existed until tonight, but it is indeed a song, and it was sung brilliantly. Hooray for sweet babies!

Babies with potty mouths are not so cute. Before our friends arrived, we sat and observed, in awe, a nice, mannerly (italics = sarcasm) family. Their surrounding area looked like a war zone: napkins, food, crayons, straws everywhere. Amidst the destruction, sat 2 fat old people silently eating (the grandparents). We were relieved, thinking the crew who had created the mess had already left. No, they were still there, as a matter of fact, to restate one of the toddlers, they had "gone [to] shit in the potty." Yes, children, those were the verbatim terms. Lovely.

Lovely pumpkin cookies! I baked them tonight, and Doogie says they're pretty good. In case you get a hankering for some of your own, here's the recipe, compliments of Betty Crocker (and as you recall from her 1990's tv ads, she knows what guys want):

Pumpkin cookies with browned butter frosting (italics = title of recipe)
Cookies:
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 eggs
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt (which I just realize I didn't add)

Browned butter frosting:
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 to 4 Tbsp milk
1/3 cup butter (Betty says not to use margarine or spread because it will burn.)

COOKIES: Heat oven to 375. Beat together sugar, brown sugar, butter, and vanilla until well blended. Beat in pumpkin and eggs until well mixed. Beat in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls. Bake 10-12 minutes.

ICING: In medium bowl, place powdered sugar, vanilla, and 3 Tbsp milk. In a 1 quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, stirring constantly until light brown. Pour butter over powdered sugar mixture. Stir until smooth. Add remaining 1 Tbsp milk to make frosting creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment