Monday, January 21, 2013

What Do You Think About When You Hear That Song?

"Bob Dylan has sexy lips." said Eller
Music is fun. It makes you laugh (She Acts Like We Never Met--Bob Dylan). It makes you cry (He Stopped Loving Her Today--George Jones). It makes you angry (You Oughtta Know--Alanis). It makes you lovey-dovey (All Night Thing--Temple of the Dog). Some songs even make you want to get liquored up (Honky Tonk Women--The Rolling Stones)!

Today I was jamming to some tunage at work, and each time a song came on, I had a memory associated with it. So, I decided I'd jot them down quickly to share later. With my playlist on shuffle, these were the following 10 songs (and associated memories) that popped up after I decided to play this little game:

The Zephyr Song - Red Hot Chili Peppers: Walking around UK's beautiful campus, in the snow, jamming away to the Chili Peppers via my Walkman. Yes, those were the days before iPods (or at least before I could afford an iPod).

Let's Stay Together - Al Green: I will forever and always associate this song with my dear friend Brian.

After Hours - We Are Scientists: A trip to NYC with my best bud, Jenna. And a night we spent hanging around the city with her boy from Ohio.

The Gambler - Fun: Being pregnant and my obsession with this song over the summer. I am also reminded of how I thought that no one had heard of Fun because I never had, but then I discovered they sang that song, "We Are Young," which everyone and their brother knew. To quote Sally Brown, "What a fool I was!"

All My Exes Live in Texas - George Straight: My friend Nate and how he always sung to me, "Allison in Galveston, somehow lost her sanity."

Little Red Corvette - Prince: My Aunt Gladys and how she blasted Purple Rain when she took a shower.

Gotten Good at Goodbye - George Strait: Watching the Top 20 Countdown with my Mommaw and cousin Jonathan on CMT. (Jonathan, remember Streets of Bakersfield--that was our jam!)

Ain't Nuthin but a G Thang - Dr. Dre & Snoop Doggy Dogg: I always think about this song's music video, and how I wish that Snoop Dogg was my friend.

Country Roads, Take Me Home - John Denver: Dwarf! And I now associate this song with my babies because this is what I sing to them when I rock them to sleep.

Beast of Burden - The Rolling Stones: A summer vacation at Myrtle Beach with my friend, Shantell.


Thanks for taking a listen to my playlist (I may be one of a handful of folks who have The Red Hot Chili Peppers, John Denver, Snoop Dogg, and George Strait on the same playlist) and strolling down memory lane with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment