Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My Morning Commute

Annoyance #1: Alarm clock does not go off.  Remedy: Jonas hollering for food.
First, the alarm clock did not go off because today is Tuesday and I do not work on Tuesdays. Except today. I had to work today because Friday is a company vacation day, which I do not get because I am part-time. So, already it sucked having to leave my babies and go to work.

He even has a half pink, half grey nose like BC!
Annoyance #2: 93.3. Remedy: Nirvana.
Got out to the garage and fired up ole Ruby Red. My radio was already blasting Christmas jams. However, in an attempt to drive me mad before Christmas, 93.3 was playing The Little Stupid Drummer Boy. Have I mentioned that I hate that song? I popped it over to the other station playing Christmas music, but it was country. I hate country. Well, I hate new country. (You know I love Dwight Yoakam.) So, after the second station failed me, I decided to see what was in my CD player. Nirvana! Excellent. A perfect soundtrack to my now annoyed mood. I cranked up Smells Like Teen Spirit, the first track on Nevermind, and during my headbanging and air-drumming, I realized I didn't actually know the words to that song. What the hell is he saying? I just googled the lyrics. What a dumb song! Oh well, I rocked out to it anyhow, singing words that sounded close to the actual words Mr. Cobain was a singing. (FYI--I do that a lot.)

Annoyance #3: Turd-sniffing honkers. Remedy: Shouting a string of colorful words.
So, I was jamming to Nirvana cruising down the road, when behold, a school bus in front of me makes a stop to pick up a child. Naturally, I stop, because, you know, a small child is crossing the road. Not to mention the bus's STOP sign, oh, and the rules of the road. Well, the jerk behind me evidently did not know the law about braking for children. He honked at me repeatedly. What is wrong with people?

Annoyance #4: Parked car on the street where cars aren't allowed to park. Remedy: Flipping the bird. At an empty car.
This particular empty car, illegally parked on the street, made me miss the yellow light and have to sit through another cycle of light changes. Ugh. Like any sane driver, I flipped it the bird and told it (yes, the car) to go to hell. Then, I laughed out loud at this because it made me immediately think of my Uncle Bob. He told Douglas about how he hates careless drivers on the road, and how he often flips them the bird and yells profanities their way. I can just picture him getting all tore up and screaming at people. If you only knew him.

You know, that was an interesting morning commute. I bet folks who were passing me by were cracking up at me. I was hollering, flipping the bird, headbanging, air-drumming, singing. Have to entertain yourself somehow, I reckon.



1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh- on mornings that my alarm doesn't go off (or I turn it off in my sleep), I literally get tears in my eyes as I irrationally ask the empty bedroom, "WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ME? WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS?"

    I also hate country music. But love the Little Drummer Boy! I always picture that claymation (spelling?) of him- adorable!!

    ReplyDelete