Sunday, October 13, 2013

It's Finally Halloween

It's finally beginning to look Halloweeny at the Gastright home. Today at half-time (it is Sunday afterall), Douglas busted out the ole black cat from storage. Black cat has a patch on his forehead, but is otherwise in good condition. Why, I remember the day we brought him home like it was just yesterday. Doogie and I  carpooled to work that crisp autumn morning. I was hungry (as usual) and demanded (as usual) a bagel. We stopped at Kroger (instead of a bakery like a normal couple would do) and picked up a nice selection.

As we were walking out of the bakery section, we decided to peruse the Halloween aisle. Naturally, I needed some candy for my desk at work. What would it be? Reese's pumpkins? Almond Joys? Kit Kat? Or my favorite, Baby Ruth? (Such self-torture to list off all of these candy bars knowing full well that I am in no position to eat any of them at the moment.) Looking at the huge variety sitting happily on the shelves, I began to feel the pressure of what to choose (it was as though I was on an episode of Supermarket Sweep, searching desperately for that one item that solved the last puzzle).

Finally, I settled on a bag of Baby Ruth (actually, I have no idea what I settled on, but chances are, I went for the Baby Ruth) and headed for the checkout lane. Then I saw it. A Big Black Cat. We needed it. I called Douglas over to see this beast. He agreed. A must have. A bare necessity.

 We left Kroger with bagels, cream cheese, Baby Ruth, and an inflatable yard decoration in the form of a giant black cat. And it wasn't even 8:00 am. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment