Monday, May 13, 2013

Cooking to Forget the Bar

Doug's study area in the garage away from me and the dudes.
"Do one thing every day that scares you." --Eleanor Roosevelt

I think this should be my life's motto. What? You think I'm boring and old? I don't live life on the edge, and I am not very dangerous, but, people, I am here to tell you that I've been doing things that scare me for my whole life. 

What about starring in that Dwarf Baptist Church Christmas play? Terrifying! What about camping out in the yard with John Irvin after watching a Nightmare on Elm Street marathon? Frightening! What about taking the ACT? Going to prom? Leaving the holler and heading to the big ole city and University of Ky? Moving to Cincinnati? Getting married? Having babies!! Aaah! All hair-raising events that I have somehow survived/am surviving. 

So, this bar exam...it'll be nothing. It helps that I am not actually the one taking the test, but it will still be a major challenge for me and my little family. I will probably whine a lot and you'll get tired of me, but what else is new? Doug does say that I am an ogre, hopefully I will contain my ogre-like tendencies and be a perfect, supportive wife. I want to avoid the, "You are never around to help me! I am so tired! Aaaah!!" situation. That's why I will be leaning on my friends for companionship and support during this 3-month ordeal. Who wants to come hang with me and the boys?

I am also beginning a new challenge. I am currently reading Julie & Julia and am inspired by Julie
Powell. In this book, Julie writes of her year-long cooking extravaganza: cooking a new recipe (or more than 1 recipe daily). Now, you and I both know I can't do that, but I have decided I'll cook a new recipe a week. This will be my coping mechanism for the bar, and maybe it'll make time pass a little more quickly. At least I might get some good food out of it! Help me out by sending me one or two of your favorite recipes!

I started tonight. I made corn souffle, a recipe from my friend, Tracy. Too bad it was a major flop. Well, it tasted good, but I totally messed up the timing. Everything else on the menu was cooked and ready to eat, but the dadblamed corn souffle was still cooking. It came out of the oven about 15 minutes after everyone was done eating supper. Bummer. 

Here's the recipe:
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
8 oz sour cream
1 egg
1 can corn, drained
1 can cream-style corn
Mix all of the above, pour into greased pan, and bake for an hour. 

I hope next week's recipe is a delicious dessert. Any ideas?








1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear more about this project! Channel Julia and you will survive! :)

    ReplyDelete