Saturday, June 25, 2011

I Miss My Uncle Charles, Y'all

When I was in 6th grade, The Bone Thugs in Harmony were popular. Remember those dudes? They all had names with "Bone" in them...like the Spice Girls were each a different spice (i.e., Baby Spice, Ginger Spice, Sporty Spice), The Bone Thugs were different types of bones: Crazy Bone, Busy Bone, Lazy Bone (pretty thuggish, right?). So, anyway, The Bone Thugs had a song, "Cross Roads." In this tune, there was a lyric that went, "Why'd they kill my dog? Damn, I miss my Uncle Charles, y'all." I thought the translation was literal, that someone really killed the dude's dog. "Man, that is jacked up. Why would someone kill a feller's ole dog?" I thought to my 6th grade self. Later in life it was made known to me that "dog" was a slang term for "friend." Makes more sense, I guess. Though, I'd be equally afraid of a gang who went around killing fellers' dogs.

***Upon a quick google search, the name of the group is actually Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, and there's even a member named Flesh-n-Bone. Pretty wicked.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, we loved them too! Thought we were so bad rapping along to their songs!!!

    ReplyDelete