Friday, October 19, 2012

Take My Breath Away

Julian & Pauline's Claws
Tuesday, while I was at home with the boys, there was a knock at my door. Who on earth would that be? The only people who visit me during the day are Jovita and Carol, and they never use the front door. I put Jules in the pack-n-play with his little bro, and went to answer the door. It was Pauline, a friend and tenant (of 28 years) of Carol's. Pauline is 79 years young and hysterical. No matter what outfit she has on, she is always sporting bright red lipstick and matching red fingernails, very long fingernails to boot. On this day, she even had on leopard print flats. I invited Pauline in to visit a while with the boys and me.

"Oh, those cats are pretty! How do you get them so healthy? I have adopted Carol's cat, Artemis, Artie is what I call her, but she is a skinny little thing. I've been renting from Carol for 28 years. I was going to move once, down to the Lady's Home, but they told me I couldn't bring my kitty cat. So, I told them I wasn't moving. Where's that big cat of yours? I saw him the other day when I was here. Oh, there he is. That is a big cat. He is beautiful! What's his name?" 

His name is Yoshi.

Vicious Yoshi aka Doshi
"Doshi? Oh, Doshi! There was a lot of Doshis down in Kentucky where I am from. My Mother used to have a water pitcher that she called her Doshi pitcher. It had the face of a woman painted on it. Ha ha! Doshi. What a good name!"

Do you want to come in and see the babies?

"Oh, my! Beautiful boys! I was just down here last week, but I think they've gotten bigger since then. For the longest time Carol and Joann would go on and on about 'the twins' and I had no idea who they were talking about, and finally I just asked, 'Joann, who's these twins you keep talking about?' And she told me, 'Doug and his wife had twins!' They sure are pretty. Now, you don't let the cats in here with them, do you? I'm from way down in Kentucky and I know what cats do to babies--they take their breath away! Mommy never let the cats stay in the house with us, and I never let cats around my babies. I've always had a cat,though. When I was a young girl, around 15, I fell asleep on a blanket outside. When I woke up, I could hardly breathe, and wouldn't you know, there was a cat sitting on my chest! Don't let those cats in there with the babies."

1 comment:

  1. I always thought it was the beybeys stealing the breaths from the cats. Just like in Lady&the Tramp.

    ReplyDelete