Thursday, August 4, 2011

Aunt Unique's Spray Down

I thought this was cool, so I wanted to share it. Anyway, I based it off of George RR Martin's family trees he does for each house in Game of Thrones. Hey, that bit about the Cornetts being related to a king...I didn't make that up! I have a verifiable source!

HOUSE CORNETT of Dwarf, Kentucky



Family sigil: Copperhead


The Cornetts trace their decent from King Canute, the Great King of England, Denmark, and Norway, the son of Sweyn Forkbeard, King of Denmark. Upon his arrival in Virginia, John Canute changed the spelling of the name to Cornett, which is the spelling used today. The name is pronounced, Corn-it in southeastern Kentucky, and Corn-ette by city folk.

And after that above, I went on to list out the family tree, but I don't want to bore you with that.

Instead, here's a Taulbee tale.
Aunt Eunice’s Big Spray Down as told by Connie Cornett Jones



Once again we were down in Flat Mary visiting my Mommaw Taulbee. Everyone was socializing outside on the carport. The grownups were playing fiddle sticks, and the kids, well, were all running around catching lightning bugs. Mom, Dad, and Uncle Joel (Aunt Eunice’s husband) were waiting on Aunt Eunice to come back from riding her big mare up the holler from Mommaw’s house, they were going to throw horse shoes when she got there. Well, it kept getting later and darker, and finally Uncle Joel said, “Well, Alice, I don't know what to think about your sister. She has got lost on that horse.” About that time, we heard a faint holler. We looked up and saw Aunt Eunice riding toward us. As she got closer, we started smelling this awful odor, and the dogs started to run away from her! Finally, she got close enough to where we could hear her holler, “Joel, get me some tomato juice and some clean clothes! I’ve been sprayed by a skunk!” Everyone started laughing and holding their noses.

1 comment:

  1. I was adopted as a child. At 30 my birth mother found me. I am of the same decent. A Cornett, birth name for my grandfather, Paul. His brother had done our family tree, Kurt.

    ReplyDelete