Saturday, February 9, 2013

Death Warmed Over

I think it was a combination of the fever I was running and the stress I am under due to a report I am writing at work that led me to have terrible nightmares last night. Julian and Jonas have taken turns being sick since Wednesday, and last night, I guess, they decided it was my turn. Dacian, Carol, and I were practicing our new Friday ritual (well, at least until Fish Fry Fridays begin next week): dinner and Scrabble. The boys were feeling a little puny still, but were clearly on the mend. Their bedtime is 8. Around 7:45, they both passed out and we took them upstairs to their cribs. However, 15 minutes later, screams were coming from their nursery. Dacian and Carol went to the rescue, as I was laying quite pathetically on the couch. Jules decided that Dacian wasn't as cool as me (naturally), and so, I had to get the little feller and get him to sleep. I took him back upstairs to his crib, but since he was still a little sick and cranky, I just put him in bed and laid beside him. I don't know who went to sleep first.

A few minutes later, the nightmare commenced. I was strapped down to a table receiving subcutaneous injections of a million different kinds of drugs.
Pass me the syringe for gemcitabine. Now, certuximab. Now, omeprazole. The patient is refusing. Tie her down and get me the bigger needle.
I DON'T HAVE CANCER!!!! I didn't sign informed consent!!! I'll sue! 
Tape her mouth shut! She's burning up. Must be running a fever. Give me the morphine, that should knock her out.
IT'LL MAKE ME ITCH. I'M ALLERGIC! YOU'RE GOING TO KILL ME. YOUR DRUG IS GOING TO FAIL! I DON'T KNOW HOW TO WRITE PK RESULTS. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO WRITE PK RESULTS.
End scene.

I woke up to find that I was blazing hot. I tried to use Jedi mind powers to call Doug into the room. I felt too badly to move and I couldn't holler because there was a sleeping baby next to me. Needless to say, the force is not with me. I wallowed in my own self pity and sickness and finally fell back to sleep. I woke up again sometime later to the same conditions--burning up, mouth dry as a desert, and trying to use mind powers again: Doug. Come in here. You will come in here right now and fetch me medicine and a beverage. Since I was reminded again that I am not a Jedi, I finally got up. Luckily, I didn't wake the baby in this process. I went downstairs and took my temperature. 100.6. I took some Tylenol, since I am allergic to everything else. And I made myself a huge glass of ice cold Orange Crush. It was amazing. Orange Crush, the medicinal wonder.

I still feel like death warmed over.


2 comments:

  1. Your dream made me laugh out loud!!

    Sorry you're feeling sick :( And on the weekend too! What a bummer! Hope today you're feeling at least a bit better <3

    ReplyDelete