Thursday, February 21, 2013

Basketball Jones and the Aquarium

I tried to capture the Ale 8 sign (that yellow blur)
Well, despite the 30-point whomping by Tennessee and the season-ending injury poor Noel sustained against Florida, I still made the trip to Lexington to see my beloved Wildcats take on Vandy (like there was ever any doubt I would go). Rupp was rocking! It was a rowdy bunch, desperate to see a win. There was lots of cheering and some booing and some cussing and even some laughing (once at the referee who fell while trying to run down the court). There was also dancing. Big Bertha (the Rupp Arena sound system) was blasting some song about Wobbling (I just tried to google the song title but I don't know enough about the song to determine which is the correct title; there is something called Wobble Baby, maybe that's it). Anyhow, the wobble song was playing, the student section was dancing, the cheerleaders were getting down, and the old woman behind me said, "This song makes me want to shake it." I love going to UK basketball games. Makes me so happy.

On the way back to the car after the game, karma got me (remember when I laughed at that old guy who fell in the mudhole), or maybe it was just me being me, Grace Jones. Anyway, I bit the dust and my body hit the pavement as I tripped on an invisible line and fell in the middle of the sidewalk. Nice. At least no one laughed at me.

Back in the car, my scraped knee was forgotten when TBo and I began to reminisce about the classic movie Space Jams and its awesome soundtrack. I confessed to her that I indeed owned both the movie and the soundtrack. That I often times serenaded Ben Affleck, who was plastered on my wall, with that Monica tune from said soundtrack (For You I Will). And that I also pretended that I could actually play basketball and that Basketball Jones was written for me. God, I was so cool back in the 90s.

You know, I think the Space Jams soundtrack was one of my very first CDs. I got a CD player for Christmas when I was in 6th grade, and with it, my first few CDs, which were: Foghat Greatest Hits, Lynyrd Skynyrd Greatest Hits, and Bob Dylan Highway 61 Revisited. Yes, I was 12. And, I had no clue who Foghat was.

Back to the UK game, Jorts was the Y. I like how they put him up on the big screen at Rupp and under his image wrote, "Josh Harrellson, Former UK Basketball Player." DUH! Good grief. We are at Rupp Arena. I'm pretty sure everyone knows who Jorts is.

Big boys. Big boy stroller. Big penguin.
Anyway, so, I took the boys to the aquarium today! Hooray! This was their first official outing/activity/play date. Sure we've been to stores and restaurants (read: Target, Sam's, and Mi Tierra), but I've never taken them anywhere just for their entertainment. We met Cathy and Seth there. We were supposed to meet at 10, but naturally, we were late. People, I am telling you, it is hard work getting those little goomers and everything they need loaded up! We also busted out the new stroller, the big boy stroller, the city mini double. Oooh yeah! They were riding in style today. I do reckon they enjoyed themselves at the aquarium. True, they don't even know what the hell a fish is, but you know, they were happy happy and smiling and checking out their surroundings and being suave little dudes. We'll be going back soon, friends. Plus, they totally get in free. Score!

At the aquarium, we saw a gigantic alligator named Mike. He was 15 ft long. Is that really necessary? A 15 ft long alligator. Good grief. I'm probably going to have nightmares tonight. And you know, they play some pretty creepy music when you walk through the alligator and crocodile rooms. It reminded me of the sort of tunes they play on True Blood. I half expected ole Bill Compton to hop out at any minute and see what was up.

After we cruised through the aquarium, we headed back to our house for lunch and KING CAKE. Oh, how I love King Cake. Have you had it before? It is a Mardi Gras tradition (let wikipedia tell you all about it--click here). I, personally, want to thank my friend Sarah for introducing me to this lovely pastry. For it is heaven in cake form. It is a giant cinnamon donut stuffed with cream cheese and covered in sugar of all sorts. Please, order yourself a King Cake from Rouses Markets. They're dope.

A pretty good couple of days if I do say so myself.
I love these dudes.


No comments:

Post a Comment