Sunday, March 1, 2015

Hermoine, She's All That

So, I've been reading Harry Potter lately. I'm on Book 4 (Goblet of Fire). I realize everyone else on earth has read the series, but, please, no spoilers! (And if it is possible that you haven't read the series, stop reading this post. I wouldn't want to spoil anything for you!)

Anyway, if you're familiar with the books, I've just read about the Yule ball, and Hermione just had her "She's All That" moment. I'm talking about that moment in a book/movie when a nerdy girl brushes her hair, puts on a little makeup, and suddenly she's a bombshell. Transformation from geek to hottie made complete once she captures the eye of that dude she's been crushing on for ages. (Side note: Miss Granger's makeover is a little more legit as she used magic to fix her teeth; she had to do a little more than take off her black-rimmed glasses.)

This, my friends, is where I tell you that I always wanted a "She's All That Moment."

I wasn't overly nerdy in school (in my opinion, others probably disagree). I didn't wear glasses. I didn't have buck teeth like Hermione. I was just your average teenager. But yet, if I would've had that makeover, I could've changed the world. 


I would've been so popular and cool. Though, I was so removed from that world, I'm not even
Me circa 2001-2002
entirely sure I knew who the popular kids were. As far as I can recall, there weren't any Slytherins at good ole Perry Central, and I never got picked on by the likes of Pansy Parkinson. 


And then, there's the crush to think about. Who's eyes would I have opened to my once dormant beauty? There was no stud jock who teased me that I adored. I wasn't in love with my best friend. I had no one to win over. Perhaps that's why I never had my "She's All That Moment." You need the boy to impress. Who cares if you get dolled up for yourself? It's all about the love connection, man.


Hey, come to think of it, there was a little fellow who I always thought was super cute. His name was Shadrach. He didn't know me. I didn't know him, 'cept for his name. But, in my memories, he is very Cedric Diggory-like. Yes, very Hufflepuff indeed. Probably very good at Quidditch, too. Wherever you are, Shadrach, I hope you know that somewhere on this planet a girl who you used to not know is comparing you to Cedric Diggory. That should make you happy. Or ultra creeped out. Whichever. 




No comments:

Post a Comment