Thursday, January 23, 2014

Lt. Dan, Ice Cream. Lt. Dan, Iiiiice Cream

Butter pecan, my favorite!
I'm glad Doug wasn't up here just now to see me lick chocolate off of my shirt. He told me earlier today that I had enough ice cream bar sticks on my nightstand to build a cabin. I can't help it that Haagen-Dazs makes a mighty fine chocolate-almond crunch ice cream bar, can I? I mean, who wouldn't want to lick that off a shirt? Give me a break, dude.

My nightly ice cream bar reminds me of my Pappaw and old Barksdale Cornett (the family dog, as you recall). When he wasn't enjoying a big tub of popcorn**, Pap
Pappaw's college yearbook photo.
delighted in a eating a cup of ice cream. After he had polished it off, he'd let Barksdale lick the cup. A match made in Heaven. In fact, I bet they're up in Heaven right now, maybe even sharing some butter pecan.

Speaking of butter pecan, I may have shared this story with you before, but one of my favorite memories of my Pappaw involved a trip to Lexington and a stop at Baskin Robbins. Now, we didn't have any ice cream shops in Dwarf, so when I was presented with the opportunity to pick from all those delicious-looking flavors of ice cream, I went wild. However, I was a dumb kid, and I chose bubblegum ice cream. It was pink and had pink chiclets buried inside. Also, it was inedible. I took one bite of that sickness and immediately knew that I had made a horrible, disgusting decision. Pappaw must've seen the sadness in my eyes because he asked me if I wanted to switch ice creams. What a man! He forced that bubblegum crap down while I enjoyed his delicious scoop of butter pecan.

**I can't wait until the dudes are old enough to eat popcorn. We'll eat it every night! Oh, how I loved staying all night with Mommaw and Pappaw! I knew as soon as Wheel of Fortune came on, Pap would be in the kitchen making a giant bowl of popcorn (always making sure I got my portion in a special bowl). Mmm I can smell it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment