Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Therapeutic Jam Session

Snuggling these dudes is also a good stress reliever. 
So, work has been a little stressful the past couple of weeks. I have a lot of it, but not a lot of time. Yes, I realize everyone else in the world has this same problem. Whatever, give me some sympathy, people.

Anyway, I was feeling like a total failure today because I had to tell my boss that I needed help. "I am struggling," I whined. "Two giant reports both due next week and 1 protocol due ASAP." I was on the verge of a melt down.

My boss gave me a little pep talk, as she often does because she is just that sweet, and I turned to my friends who were there to help me write! Thank goodness for those girls!

I felt like a turd for dragging them down. But what can you do? Sometimes, you just need help.

Finally the workday was over, and I hopped in the car to head home. To my great surprise (although, it shouldn't have been a surprise because I had been listening to the CD on the morning commute; I guess when you only listen to an actual CD once a year, it's always surprising), Nirvana was blasting from my radio. Ah, yes, definitely turned the volume up for some angry grunge music. Yes, Kurt, I do feel stupid and contagious.

Now I know Nirvana is heralded as one of the greatest rock bands of all time, but I just don't really dig them that much. Don't beat me up dudes, but once you've heard one Nirvana song, haven't you heard them all? Am I going to burn in rock-n-roll hell for writing this? Will I be stuck in the eternal flames of damnation alongside the likes of Brian who SAT DOWN FOR THE ENTIRE BOB DYLAN show. Will I forever have to hear Doug ask, "Is this Aerosmith?" when it is clearly THE ROLLING STONES. Christ! What a punishment.


Anyway, moving onto my point (I had one I think): music is such good therapy. I don't know jack about notes or how to play an instrument and I sure as heck can't sing, but boy, play me a little Johnny Cash or some Heart and my mood is on the mend. Johnny's low humming and Nancy Wilson's killer guitar riffs take me to a happier place.

Perhaps the song that cheered me up the most this evening on my way home was "2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted" by Tupac featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg. Yes, that's right. As I was cruising down the interstate in my Subaru Outback, I was bumping to some gangsta rap and singing along. Loudly. Fellow drivers probably thought I was having some sort of seizure in my car.

What makes me laugh even more than me rapping is the debate I had (with myself) about who I would be in this duet. "I think I'd be Snoop Dogg. I'm more laid back. And Kristen would definitely be my 2Pac. She is scrappy after all." Tupac was probably rolling in his grave.

Picture us rollin.


Just for kicks and giggles, the song that followed was The Godfather of Shock Rock's (Alice Cooper, I'm going to pretend that I didn't have to tell you that) classic Feed My Frankenstein. One could say I have an eclectic taste in music.



1 comment:

  1. You should whine all you want- your workload IS stressy!

    Love the images of you jamming out in your Subarau, though ;)

    ReplyDelete