Sunday, November 10, 2013

Back at Rupp

Rupp's rafters. 
Oh, boy! How wonderful it was to get back to Rupp today! I have missed that hallowed arena. The wait from March to November is so incredibly long. But finally, college basketball is here.

I swear. Kentucky basketball really is a religion. I want you to know that reel of Kentucky greats they show right before game time, it gets me choked up every dang time. Why am I so fanatical? I just can't help it. It's in my blood, as they say. Why, my Mom has been stressing about Tom Izzo and his Spartans for weeks.

An actual phone conversation between my Mother and me:
Me: Hi, Mom. What's going on in Dwarf?
Mom: Oh nothing. I just wish November 12th would hurry up and get here. I'm worried.
Me: What happens November 12th? Dad go to the doctor?
Mom: (talking to me like I'm an idiot) That's when we (didn't you know, my Mom plays for the Cats) play Michigan State! It's our first true test! They're a veteran team. I don't know if we can handle them. Your Dad thinks we'll lose.
Me: You are mental. And Dad always thinks we'll lose.

The most surprising thing about that conversation, as my friend John pointed out, is that I didn't immediately
know what she was talking about. It's come to this, people. I am as blue to the bone as my crazy Mother. Well, maybe not that blue just yet. Years down the road, one of my children will call me and ask, "What's going on, Mom?" And I'll tell them about how I've just changed into my lucky UK t-shirt, have my UK earrings in, my fingernails painted blue, have my fingers crossed, my head's pounding, and I have gone to the other room away from their negative Nancy father to watch the game in peace. (Yes, these really are the things my Mama does on game days. I come by it naturally.)

Oh, my boys. They are in for a real treat. I do look forward to sharing the experience with them. Sitting next
to us tonight were two dads, both with their daughters. The girls were decked out in their UK gear and were being very enthusiastic cheerleaders. Doug had the pleasure of sitting directly next to one of them. I think her pom-poms nearly took off his head a couple of times. "I should've worn my safety goggles!" he groaned. When she wasn't cheering, she was wondering whether or not dogs played basketball. I see an Air Bud movie marathon in her future.

I had a great time cheering on the Cats as they thumped on our brethren to the north, Northern Kentucky University. Here's to hoping the boys in blue play some awesome basketball on Tuesday night when they play Michigan State. It's for the health of my Mother and me.




No comments:

Post a Comment