Monday, June 28, 2010

Let's go Krogering!


Just got back from dinner with friends. I needed to go to Kroger to procure some fixings for this week's vegetarian-friendly line-up, but put off the trip so that I would have something to do tomorrow night. Is that sad? You don't have to answer the question...I know the answer.

The Answer Man is in (or is it on) my Netflix queue (how do you pronounce that word). It stars Harry Dunn (Dumb & Dumber) and Lorelai Gilmore (Gilmore Girls..shuh). I figure you can't go wrong with that combo, right? Also on/in the queue is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I have never watched this film, though I am a proponent of Mr. Wonka's candy.

The candy drawer at work needs something fruity. Perhaps some runts. Or some Laffy Taffy. Ooh or maybe some Sprees (or is Spree already in plural form). Definitely need some Spree(s). I wonder if one can purchase Spree(s) at Sam's Club. Spree(s) are absolutely a goodness that must be purchased in large quantities.

Large quantities of tomatoes are needed, I have noted, for a vegetarian diet. I sure am glad I have 8 tomato plants growing. Every recipe I have read calls for a tomato or 2 or 4.

For tomorrow night I'm making this tasty dish (without tomatoes):

Baked Mediterranean Vegetables


Ingredients:
1 small eggplant, trimmed, halved and thickly sliced
1 egg
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 cup milk
2 T fresh thyme leaves
1 red onion
2 large zucchini
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
2 T sunflower oil
2 T grated fresh parmesan
salt & black pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Put the eggplant in a colander, sprinkle with salt, leave for 10 minutes. Drain, rinse well, and pat dry.

2. Beat egg, add flour, and a little milk to make a smooth paste. Gradually blend in the rest of the milk, add the thyme leaves, and seasoning to taste. Stir until smooth. Put in a cool place until needed.

3. Preheat oven to 425. Put some oil in a roasting pan and warm for a bit. Pull out roasting pan and put all your chopped veggies in, stir to coat with oil. Bake in oven for 20 minutes.

4. Give the batter a whisk, then pour over the vegetables. Return pan to the oven for 30 minutes. When puffed and golden, reduce the heat to 375 and bake for 10-15 minutes until crisp around the edges. Sprinkle with parmesan.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment